Monday, August 19, 2013

Re-invention

**Note:  Be sure to read True Happiness before reading this post.

       It is time I take some control over my life!  I truly believe everyone is meant to live an extraordinary life full of heart fluttering love, belly clinching laughs, remarkable experiences, prosperity free of fear and guilt, good heath and amazing people to share you life with.  This year I hit the not so big anymore, but a turning point none the less 3-1!  At the age of 31 the only real accomplishments I have made are my three super awesome kids and the heart pounding relationship with my husband of almost 12 years.  In this area I am wealthy beyond compare, but missing many things in my life that would add to my "extraordinary" life experience.  I have lived in fear for years and sometimes (maybe more than sometimes) abandoning responsibilities because of fear.  Today I take charge of my thoughts and my life, set out to start building happiness habits and freeing myself of distractions that hinder me from living my BEST life.....hence a re-invention.  My first step is to do some self reflecting and examining what changes need to be made to my existence, then setting a plan into  action to build these changes into habits.  I will use this blog as my source of accountability. I plan to work daily on making changes that count!! To make happiness a habit everyday and break the relapse cycle when things are going well. I invite you to follow along as I challenge myself to accomplish a "happiness task" each day and experience the changes that occur with me.

          Today I am going to take some time to examine my bad habits.  This might actually be painful to do, but I think it is important. To make this short and sweet, the brain consists of instincts, memories, habits and much, much more. Some brain functions you are born with and some are developed. Voluntary motor control, emotional functions and routine behavior or “habits” are examples of brain functions that stem from the basal ganglia located at the base of the fore brain. However, self discipline is developed in the frontal lobes of the brain. The brain, like a muscle, requires training to make it stronger. Today we will focus on building the frontal lobes of the brain that aid in self discipline.
     I recently read a case study of a women who was at a very low point in her life. In conjunction with this meek point in her life she was a victim to many bad habits. Recognizing this low point in her life she set a goal. A big goal. A goal she knew she could only accomplish if she rid her life a particular bad habit (for her it was to quit smoking). So she stopped this habit immediately. As she progressed toward her goal she realized not only had she rid her life of that particular bad habit, but many others as well. She noticed that her whole life had improved as well. Part of the case study included high-tech brain scans while she was working toward her goal. These scans were able to show development in her brain during this life altering experience. The scans showed development and changes in the frontal lobes of the brain where self discipline is developed. In short, by making the commitment to stop one bad habit she was able to develop the part of her brain aiding in self discipline creating the self discipline to stop many other bad habits with out even noticing.
       I invite you to examine your bad habits as well. Write them down. My list looked like this: procrastinating (on bills esp), setting things down were they don't belong (causing clutter...which produces major stress for me), picking at my bad skin/acne (thus making it worse), distracting myself from the more important things in life with social media (Facebook), not following though with things, worrying about what others think of me, eating foods I know are not good for me (food is meant to be nourishment for my body after all), not being active/getting good exercise, not drinking enough water, allowing myself to get worked up over small things, yelling at my kids when they do not respond when/how I want to what I am asking (usually when asking multiple times.....but there has got to be another way....because yelling at them makes me feel like crap), and being negative when my husband asks me to do things for work that I don't like to do or find to not be productive in the past.           
         After examining this list I decided to break these bad habits and build self discipline. In order to develop the self discipline I wanted and be able to succeed I knew I acknowledged all of the bad habits on my list, but picked three that I will spend the next 21 days quitting COLD TURKEY! I vow to take a break from all Facebook, drink my eight or more glasses of water per day and force myself to not touch a single blemish or break out on my face! Make this same decision for your self. Pick one, two or even three (whatever you know you can handle quitting cold turkey for 21 days) and begin to build your own self discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment